When someone starts telling me how there’s no problems in America
10 Signs you’re in your Second Year of Service
1. You snot-rocket when you get off your brousse (country appropriate form of public transit)
1.a. You know what snot-rocketing is and had to think about what was wrong with it.
2. You have licked a plate clean bc you cooked with cheese and you are NOT about to let that go to waste!
3. You can kill a cockroach on your wall in the dark without flinching and without questioning your aim.
4. Peeing in public? Is that weird?
4.a. When you say O.D. You mean open-defection.
5. Sleeping in means sleeping an hour past the roosters.
6. After an hour you don’t know what to do with the Internet besides load “howapcvputsitgently” gifs.
7. The concept of working 40 hours a week terrifies you because working 15 is exhausting.
8. You no longer wonder if the pile of poop you just stepped over is human or animal, you’ve already identified it.
9. You are still not fluent in your local language, but you’re not fluent in English either.
10. Candlelit dinners aren’t romantic dinners, they’re just dinner.
And one bonus
11. Instead of counting up the months you’ve been in country you’ve started counting down the months until you’re home!
"WHY DID YOU JOIN THE PEACE CORPS?":
- James T, Madagascar
Make your own dot on the world!
Author & Illustrator Peter H. Reynolds created International Dot Day to celebrate creativity.
This picture, along with many amazing dots, was found here.
A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.